Practice Safety On the Road
According to the Athens Banner-Herald, a seventeen year old female was tragically killed when riding in a SUV last week around 5:30 p.m.
This occurred off of Interstate 85 near Lavonia in Franklin County. The vehicle was driven by Gwendolyn Hicks, 39 years old. Kaneshia Thomas, the 17 year old, was riding in this 2002 Mazda Tribute.
Georgia State Patrol are still investigating, but what they do know for certain is that there were two other passengers in the vehicle. Thomas was pronounced dead at the scene after sustaining fatal injuries from being thrown from the SUV. Hicks and the two other passengers were taken to the Hospital.
The above story is a sad story, but unfortunately an all too common one. Police don’t know as of yet what caused the accident. However, this tragic accident does raise the following issues that all drivers should be mindful of:
Be Safe When Driving
In order to avoid a serious or deadly car accident, here are some basic safety tips while you drive:
- Don’t text while driving (besides being dangerous it is illegal in many states).
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Don’t ride with someone who is under the influence.
- Don’t eat while driving.
- Don’t apply makeup while driving.
- If you need to make a phone call, pull over.
- Perform maintenance on your car and follow the speed limits.
- Use your turn signals.
- If you get drowsy or cannot focus while driving, pull over and rest.
- Do not reach for things.
- If you are in a rush, consider the difference between driving that extra speed for the one minute it might save you in getting to your destination versus that extra speed and the increased time it will take to apply your brakes.
If You Have Been Hit
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. There are several types of damages that are recoverable from car accidents including, but not limited to, the reimbursement for medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. You may want to contact our team for more information and to help you protect your interests and legal rights.
There are several things you should do if you are in a car accident:
- First and foremost, if anyone needs emergency medical attention, call 911.
- Call the police. When the officer arrives, he/she will know exactly what to do. They will gather information from all the drivers involved and witnesses.
- Do not forget to gather the other driver’s information yourself, including contact information, VIN numbers, license plate number, and insurance information.
- It is also highly recommended that if you have a camera, you should take pictures of the accident scene and of the cars involved. Take pictures of skid marks and any other part of the accident scene. You also want to take pictures of bruises or marks that were a result of the car accident. (Use your cell phone’s camera if you have a feature like that.)
- If you have an injury from the car accident, you should see a doctor. Car accidents can result in extremely serious injuries. Some injuries do not become apparent until afterwards. This is why it is crucial to seek a medical exam after an injury from a car accident, no matter how small.
- Do not admit fault. In some circumstances, you may be tempted to admit fault without knowing all the facts surrounding the accident.
- Do not sign any papers without understanding what you are signing.
- When talking to insurance companies, use caution. They are trained professionals and are not working for you. You may want to contact our Georgia Accident Lawyers to help protect your interests, especially when insurance companies may be unfair or unreasonable.
- Make sure to obtain and save all your receipts from the expenses you incurred as a result of the car accident.
- Do not discuss the case with anyone except your doctor or your lawyer.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our lawyers to see how they can help.
Tag: accident, automobile crash, Car Accident, car crash, cell phone while driving, Childers Schlueter & Smith, Driver Safety, georgia car accident, insurance coverage, roadway safety, safety tips while driving, texting while driving, what to do in an accident,
Share us on